Valentine’s Day Mini Chocolate Cakes are a cute little layer cake made from scratch! A moist chocolate cake cut into small circles and layered with pink frosting, topped with sprinkles.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Make these cute Valentine’s Day Mini Chocolate Cakes for a class or work party, a girl’s night or for your family!
These whimsical little layer cakes are made from scratch but it’s not difficult! Start by baking a chocolate cake in a sheet pan. Use a circle cookie cutter to make the layers and stack them with pink frosting. Finish with sprinkles for a fun and festive touch!
Tools you will need to make these cakes
- A 16×12 inch baking pan. If you don’t have this exact size, no problem! If it’s a little bigger your layers will be thinner, if it’s a little smaller your layers will be thicker.
- A stand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, a wire rack and a rubber spatula. You can find some of my favorites on my Kitchen Essentials page!
- A circle cookie cutter/biscuit cutter to cut the circles out. The one I used was 2.5-inches but anything around that size will work!
- A frosting spatula (or a knife if you don’t have one!).
- Pink food coloring and sprinkles. I like to avoid artificial food dyes for my family so I love ColorKitchen Plant-Based Colors and these sprinkles.
How to make these mini cakes
Allow yourself about two hours to make these cakes, which includes plenty of time for the cake to cool before cutting the circles and assembling.
Step 1: Make the chocolate cake. I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe that appears in several recipes on my blog including my Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Layer Cake. For this recipe, you’ll make one sheet cake on a 16×12-inch pan. Once the cake is baked, let it cool completely.
Step 2: Make the frosting. It’s a simple buttercream frosting that is dyed pink. I used a food color powder but you can also use liquid food dye. Add a little at a time and mix to see where the color is at.
Step 3: Next use a circle cookie cutter to cut circles out of the cake. Cut as close together as possible so you can get as many circles as possible! I was able to cut 20 circles which made 10 total cakes.
Step 4: Assemble your cakes! I like to set up a little assembly line with my circles, a bowl of frosting and a bowl of sprinkles. Take one circle and spread frosting on top of it. Stack another circle on top and frost it. Top with sprinkles!
Did you make these?
I always love to see how your creations turn out! If you made these Valentine’s Day Mini Chocolate Cakes, be sure to leave a review on the recipe below and/or share to social media! You can tag me @asavoryfeast or #asavoryfeast.