If you are craving some comfort food, this creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is just the thing. Made from-scratch with simple ingredients, this soup is ready in under 30 minutes. It pairs perfectly with garlic bread or even grilled cheese!
This soup is a favorite of ours that I’ve been making for years. It first appeared on the blog back in 2014.
For the past year or so I’ve been working on revamping some of my older posts with new pictures. I was so excited to make this one again!
Feeding a crowd? This soup is perfect to make for a party! It can easily be doubled and is an inexpensive way to feed a lot of people.
We’ve made this for parties a couple of times and it is always a big hit!
Tomato Tortellini Soup is made from scratch with several items you probably have in your pantry, plus heavy cream for creaminess, sliced sausage and tortellini pasta.
You can find tortellini in the refrigerated section at your favorite grocery store. They usually have several different filling options all of which would be delicious in this soup. I typically try to get a package with three-cheese filling if I can.
For the sausage I usually like to use Italian-flavored chicken sausage. You can also use kielbasa. This soup would also be good with leftover shredded or rotisserie chicken.
For the ultimate comfort food meal, serve this Tomato Tortellini Soup with grilled cheese! We had a fun Sunday supper recently with this soup and homemade grilled cheeses.
We used sourdough bread and tried different combinations of cheeses for our grilled cheese. They were delicious dipped in the soup!
More Savory Soup Recipes
Did you try this recipe? If you enjoyed it be sure to leave a review! You can share on social media using #asavoryfeast or tagging @asavoryfeast. For more recipes, be sure to follow me on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.
- 1 (16 oz) package sausage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (26 oz) can tomato soup
- 1 (32 oz) box chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 (20 oz) package tortellini
- Slice the sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a soup pot on medium high heat, cook the sausage for 5 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and sauté with the sausage for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste to the pot and stir.
- Add tomato soup, chicken broth and cream. Stir well and bring the heat up to medium high.
- Add the italian seasoning, salt, pepper and onion powder and stir.
- Add the tortellini and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, lower the heat to a simmer.
- Add the sausage and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 1283mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g
This recipe was originally published on A Savory Feast in February of 2014. The photos and text have been updated but the recipe is the same.