I discovered quinoa a couple years ago and was obsessed for quite awhile! It was during the beginning of my journey to cut back on wheat, so it was a great alternative to pasta. After making the same recipes over and over again, we got a little tired of it.
Then, a few months ago a friend made a quinoa salad for dinner. It was amazing! I loved the idea of being able to add some texture and protein to a salad.
Sweet potatoes were a must for my first quinoa salad creation. They add a lot of flavor and are good for you, too. I added chicken to make this salad an all-in-one meal. Spinach, onions and feta finish it off perfectly.
One of the best things about this quinoa salad is that it tastes great served hot or cold. You can cook it up for dinner and save the leftovers to eat for lunch the next day. You don’t even have to worry about heating them up!
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken, sliced in strips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the sweet potato cubes in a single layer on the sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes. Broil on high for 2 minutes or until browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the quinoa according to the directions on the package.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet on high. Brown the chicken for 2 minutes on each side. Lower the heat to medium high and add the spinach and onions. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, quinoa, chicken, onions and spinach. Be sure to add in all the excess oil from the skillet. Mix until combined. Top with feta.
- Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
Have you tried a quinoa salad yet? What did you put in yours?