This colorful Summer Tomato and Avocado Pasta Salad is the perfect addition to your cookout. It’s a light, flavorful dish that will make everyone want seconds. Packed with colorful cherry tomatoes, avocado, fresh mozzarella cheese and a lemon herb olive oil dressing.
Need a side dish idea to bring to a summer cookout? This easy pasta salad is the perfect compliment to any grilled meal.
Pasta salads like this are great for entertaining or bringing to a party, because you can get it all assembled and in the fridge ahead of time.
This pasta salad is made with lots of colorful, fresh, flavorful ingredients. I found a pint of cherry tomatoes at my local farm market that had red, yellow and orange cherry tomatoes in it. If you can’t find something like that, just red or just yellow will work fine too.
Avocados are a favorite in our house, so it was an obvious addition to this salad for me. It adds some great flavor and texture.
I also added fresh mozzarella, which was probably my favorite part of this pasta salad! It really brought all of the flavors together.
Finally, I made an easy dressing using olive oil, lemon juice, salt and dried basil.
I used rigatoni pasta, but you can mix it up with your favorite type of pasta! I think I might try bowtie in the future, too.
This pasta salad goes great with just about any grilled meal, from chicken to pork to burgers to ribs. I loved how it tasted with grilled chicken!
You can even turn this side dish into a main dish by adding a meat like grilled chicken. It’s a light summer meal this way!
- 1 pound pasta, uncooked, (I used rigatoni)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain and let cool before assembling the salad.
- Cut the tomatoes in halves. Cut the avocado in half, remove the fruit and cut into cubes. Cut the fresh mozzarella into small cubes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and basil. Place the avocados in the bowl and mix to coat. The lemon juice will keep them from browning too quickly.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pasta, tomatoes, and mozzarella. Add the avocados and the dressing and toss everything together. Put in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve, best served cold.
Make this a full meal by adding grilled chicken.