Strawberry Filled Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing are a sweet Valentine’s Day dessert that is made completely from scratch! Start with a basic, homemade vanilla cupcake and fill it with a strawberry filling. Top with a simple chocolate frosting!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, you will be supporting A Savory Feast at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
If you need to make a Valentine’s Day dessert for a school or work party this year, these cupcakes are just the thing! Chocolate is a must for a Valentine’s Day dessert, and adding strawberries makes for the perfect combination.
Putting in a little extra work to make all the elements of this dessert from scratch is 100% worth it for the taste!
This treat starts with a basic vanilla cupcake. It’s honestly not much harder than using a boxed mix! Once they are baked and cooled, you’ll use a cupcake corer or a knife to cut out the center of the cupcakes.
Next comes the fun part. These cupcakes are filled with a 3-ingredient strawberry filing! Fresh strawberries are cooked with sugar and cornstarch to create a jam-like filling for the cupcakes.
The final step is to make an easy, homemade chocolate buttercream. If you like, you can decorate your cupcakes with slices of fresh strawberries or Valentine’s sprinkles.
You’ll love how the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate flavors combine into one delicious cupcake!
More Strawberry Treats!
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
For the Filling:
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and diced (measure after you hull and dice them)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp water to get rid of clumps
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk or heavy cream
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Slowly add in the sugar in a steady stream, beating for about 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after you add each egg.
- Alternate adding in a little bit of the wet and dry ingredients to the bowl of your stand mixer, mixing until all the ingredients are incorporated into a batter.
- Fill each of the cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full with the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the filling:
- Once you have the cupcakes in the oven, make the filling. Place the hulled and diced strawberries and the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir constantly for 4 minutes or until the juices from the strawberries are released.
- Stir in the cornstarch/water mixture and stir for about 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- Once the cupcakes and filling are both cooled completely, make the frosting and begin assembly. Beat the butter in the bowl of your stand mixer on medium using the whisk attachment. Once it is creamy, add in the powdered sugar and milk or heavy cream. Mix on high speed for 3 minutes.
- At this point, check the consistency of the frosting. If it is too runny, add in up to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add in a little bit more milk or heavy cream.
- Use a cupcake corer or a small knife to cut out the center of the cupcakes. The hole should be about 3/4 inch wide and 1 inch deep.
- Spoon or pipe the filling into the center of the cupcakes, filling to the top of the cupcake.
- Spread or pipe the frosting over the cupcakes. If desired, garnish with a strawberry slice. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.