Perfect for a hearty weekend breakfast or for making breakfast for dinner! This filling breakfast bowl is packed with potatoes, scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon, chicken and more. Set up a build-your-own bowl buffet for your family or your guests with this simple and delicious meal.
Recently I shared our current dinner rotation, all of the recipes that I have on rotation for my meal plan each week. I included a couple recipes that I hadn’t shared on the blog yet, including this one. We love doing breakfast-for-dinner, and this is one of our favorites!
This dish is super filling and packed with protein, so it makes a great dinner option or a hearty breakfast. It’s got lots of other delicious, wholesome ingredients to fill you up and make you feel good!
I love all of the flavors and textures in this bowl! Although there are a lot of ingredients, this dish is pretty quick and simple to make. Most of it is cooked in just one skillet so there isn’t much clean up, either.
How to Make the Potato Base
These bowls start out with a potato base. I like to make my own roasted potatoes from scratch (see the recipe notes below for the recipe I like to use). You can also get frozen potatoes or even switch them out for hash browns or something like that. You could also make these bowls without the potatoes for a low carb meal.
How to Make the Meats, Egg and Veggies in One Skillet
The rest of the ingredients for this meal are make in one skillet in several steps. Start out by cooking the bacon and then removing it from the skillet, leaving the grease.
Then cook the cubed chicken in the bacon grease until fully cooked and remove from the pan.
At this point you will usually have to add a little butter or ghee to the pan. Then sauté the diced red bell pepper for a couple minutes before adding in the eggs. Once those are done you are ready to assemble the bowls.
Assembling the Bowls
We like to set up a build-your-own bar when we make these. That way each person can customize their bowls based on their preferences. If you like, you can add some additional options such as different veggies or types of cheese.
Set out all of the ingredients and let everyone assemble their bowls as they would like. Start with a layer of potatoes, then add the chicken, bacon and the red bell peppers and scrambled eggs. Top with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese!
More Breakfast Favorites
Did you try this recipe? If you enjoyed it be sure to leave a review! You can share on social media using #asavoryfeast or tagging @asavoryfeast. For more recipes, be sure to follow me on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.
- 4 cups of cooked diced potatoes (see notes)
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use white cheddar)
- Begin cooking the potatoes first. See notes for the recipe I like to make from scratch or you can use frozen.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat until it reaches your preferred crispiness. Remove the bacon from the skillet but leave the grease. Break the bacon into small pieces.
- Raise the heat for the skillet to medium high. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook throughly, no longer pink in the middle. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- If needed, add a little butter or ghee to the skillet and then sauté the diced red bell pepper for 2-4 minutes or until beginning to become tender. Crack the eggs into a container and beat. Pour into the skillet and scramble until cooked.
- For each of your bowls, layer the potatoes, bacon, chicken, bell pepper/scrambled egg mixture and shredded cheese.
For the potatoes: I use this recipe from The Clean Eating Couple to make my own potatoes. You can also use frozen (cooked according to the directions on the package) or substitute hash browns.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 714Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 519mgSodium: 815mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 66g