Raise your hand if you love salted caramel and chocolate together! Salted Caramel Chocolate Dipped Cupcakes take this flavor combo to another level by dressing up a boxed cake mix. This decadent dessert features a homemade caramel frosting. It is dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Typically in January I like to share healthier recipes to help everyone kick off the new year. But last year I broke the mold a bit and shared my Strawberry Filled Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting and they ended up being one of my most popular recipes of the year!
So this year, here is another decadent cupcake recipe coming your way in January! These Salted Caramel Chocolate Dipped Cupcakes would be a perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day or a birthday.
To keep this recipe simple, I just used a boxed cake mix. If you would rather, you can use your favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe. I linked to my favorite recipe in the recipe notes!
Next comes the fancy part! I made the caramel frosting from scratch and then dipped the frosted cupcakes in melted dark chocolate. The finishing touch is a sprinkle of sea salt.
Salted caramel and chocolate is definitely one of my favorite combinations for desserts. When given the choice, I almost always pick a chocolate dessert. If I can have salted caramel with it, even better!
These cupcakes are something I’ve been dreaming of making for awhile now, and I’m so glad I did.
I got the idea to dip these cupcakes in chocolate from this Buckeye Cupcake recipe from Tastes of Lizzy T.
Dipping cupcakes is so easy and so fun! It adds such a fancy touch to the cupcakes. You don’t have to worry if you aren’t good at piping frosting.
Pin the Image Below to Save this Recipe for Later!
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- Eggs, oil and water as called for on chocolate cake mix box
For the Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 4-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the Topping
- 2 cups dark chocolate (I used dark chocolate chips)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Sea salt for garnishing
For the Cupcakes:
- Mix and bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the box. Let cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and melt over medium heat. Once it is melted, add the brown sugar and 2 tbsp of the heavy cream. Whisk constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Add the salt and allow to bubble for about 2 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and transfer the sauce to a heat-safe bowl. Let cool completely.
- Take the cooled caramel and pour it into the bowl of your stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, add 3 cups of the powdered sugar and 2 tbsp of the heavy cream and whisk until combined. Slowly add in up to another 1 cup of powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency. If it gets too thick, you can add an extra tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Spread the frosting on top of each cupcake (you can pipe the frosting in a swirl if desired or just spread with an icing spatula or knife). Place the cupcakes in the freezer for at least an hour so that the frosting can set before dipping the cupcakes.
For the Topping:
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil together in a double boiler.
- Take a frosted cupcake, turn it upside down and dip quickly into the melted chocolate. Pull it back up and let the excess chocolate drip off. Turn the cupcake over and place on a serving dish. Garnish with sea salt and let set until the chocolate is hardened.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you prefer, you can use your favorite chocolate cake recipe to make the cupcakes from scratch. My favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe is a part of this Salted Caramel Bundt Cake recipe. Just follow the directions for the chocolate cake and divide the batter into 24 cupcakes. Bake for 14-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.