Love puppy chow? It’s even better in these cookie bars! All the flavor you love from puppy chow, but in bar form. These bars start with a soft peanut butter cookie layer followed by a chocolate peanut butter layer. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for the final touch!
It’s time for another collaboration with my Blockbuster Blogger friends! This month we all created recipes based on the new Secret Life of Pets movie, which comes out this weekend.
This sweet movie snack is inspired by a favorite of mine — puppy chow! I took all of the flavors of a classic puppy chow recipe and put them in cookie bar form.
I think we can all agree that peanut butter and chocolate is the best combo ever! My Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownie Bars from a couple of weeks ago have been proving that by quickly going viral on Pinterest. So I’m sure you will LOVE these bars!
You’ll want to keep these bars in the fridge and serve them nice and cold. They are so good right out of the fridge!
For the cookie:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup flour
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
For the cookie
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Add in both sugars and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add in egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Set the mixer to low and add in the flour, a little at a time.
- Press the dough into the greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Set the cookie layer aside to cool completely.
For the topping:
- Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute and stir. If the chocolate isn't completely melted, microwave for 20 seconds and stir. Repeat if necessary.
- Spread the chocolate layer over the peanut butter cookie layer. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the chocolate layer. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Cut into bars and enjoy!
Lime Coconut Puppy Chow from Around My Family Table
Kibbles & Bits Snack Mix from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Catnip Tea (for cats) from Celebrating Family
Puppy Chow Cookie Bars from A Savory Feast
Puppy Pops from A Little Slice of Us
Sweet Potato & Banana Pupsicles from A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Puppy Party Snacks from For The Love of Food
Bacon Fluffernutter Puppy Chow from Bread Booze Bacon