This may be the easiest Fall dessert ever! Pumpkin Pudding Dump Cake is made using a few simple ingredients like a cake mix, a pudding mix and pumpkin puree. So easy, but it tastes incredible!
It seems like every year pumpkin spice is showing up earlier and earlier! And I’m definitely not complaining.
Fall is my favorite season, although we don’t get to experience it much here in Florida. My husband and I try to take a trip to the mountains each Fall to get a taste of cooler weather and Fall leaves.
But when I’m home, I still make the most of the season with pumpkin everything!
Over the past week I have been experimenting with new pumpkin desserts to share with you here.
The first one was a total fail. I have mentioned before that my son has an egg allergy, so for right now I’m not eating it either. So I tried making a pumpkin cookie bar using applesauce instead of an egg.
It didn’t work. The bars were super dense and didn’t have much flavor either. I’ll probably revisit the recipe and try to make it work, but for now I moved on to another type of dessert: this dump cake.
And this cake was a completely different story. It was a win on the first try!
It’s so incredibly easy to make. It starts with a pumpkin pudding layer. Once you have that in the pan, open a vanilla cake mix and just sprinkle the dry mix over the pudding layer. Last is a drizzle of melted butter and you are ready to bake!
The pumpkin layer stays gooey and pudding-like after baking. The cake gets slightly crunchy. After you add the whipped cream, it is the perfect combination of textures!
Now, I realize that the picture above is a little weird because who the heck is going to have that small of a piece? Let’s be honest, after I taste-tested it I went back for more!
Dump cakes are so easy to make and perfect for when you have last minute guests! Another favorite dump cake recipe on my site is my Fast-Fixin’ Chocolate Chip Cake, if you are needing more of a chocolate-fix.
More Pumpkin Recipes!
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree , (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 3.4 oz packet of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 yellow cake mix, you won't need the ingredients that the box calls for, just the mix
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin pie spice and heavy cream until combined. Spread evenly into the pan.
- Sprinkle the dry vanilla cake mix over the pumpkin mixture. Pour the melted butter over the cake mix layer. It's ok if some of the cake mix is still dry.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the cake layer is browned. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.