This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
The perfect balance of light lemon flavor and sweetness, these Lemon Cake Pops are perfect for Easter or any Springtime event. Add your own lemon flavor to a boxed cake mix for just the right amount of tart lemon flavor.
Welcome to #SpringSweetsWeek 2020 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures! What better way to celebrate the warmer weather and flowers blooming than with food and a fun giveaway? 27 bloggers from around the country have come together to share over 100 sweet recipes perfect for spring! So stop thinking about cold and snow and get ready to enjoy the best spring sweets like cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pies, and even beverages! Our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you so much to Dixie Crystals, Millican Pecan, Door County Coffee, Anolon, Deiss Kitchenware, Adams Extract, and Fresh April Sprinkles for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and would love if you would take a moment to read about it and the prizes you can win!
I’m so excited to be joining in for #SpringSweetsWeek again this year! This week I’ll be sharing 3 new dessert recipes, starting with these delicious Lemon Cake Pops.
Cake pops are such a fun treat for any party or event! This version uses a boxed cake mix and adds in lemon zest and lemon extract for just the right amount of flavor, no artificial lemon taste! Coated with white candy melts and topped with fun Easter-themed sprinkles.
Cake Pop Tips
If this is your first time making cake pops, don’t be afraid! They are time consuming and can be a bit tricky to make, but I’ll share a few tips to help your cake pops turn out great the first time.
- Get the right tools! Read through the recipe and make sure you have all the right tools and extras for making cake pops. I’ve linked to the cake pop sticks and candy wafers I use below. You’ll want to be sure to have a styrofoam block or something to poke the finished cake pops into while the chocolate sets.
- Read through the recipe a few times so that you understand the process, especially how to dip and decorate the pops.
- Give yourself plenty of time! They will keep for a week in the refrigerator so you can make them a couple of days before an event and you don’t feel rushed.
- Don’t make your cake balls too big! They will be harder to dip and decorate and might be too heavy that they fall over while setting.
Recommended Tools and Supplies
Be sure to check out all of the Monday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes!
- Auntie Ann’s Italian Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Blood Orange Madelines by Simply Inspired Meals
- Butter Pecan Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Butterscotch Pie with Pecan Crust by Art of Natural Living
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Bars by Cookaholic Wife
- Carrot Cake Pecan Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Coconut Pineapple Bread by Family Around the Table
- Coffee Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls by Pastry Chef Online
- Coffee Pudding Cake by That Recipe
- Gluten Free Almond Poppyseed Bread by Frugal & Fit
- Hummingbird Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon and Raspberry Mascarpone Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Buttercream Cake with Lemon Curd Filling by Jen Around the World
- Lemon Cake Pops by A Savory Feast
- Lemon Jelly Roll by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemonade Crinkles by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Lemony Baked Doughnuts by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mint Chocolate Quick Bread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mocha Mint Mississippi mud brownies- by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Orange Posset by Shockingly Delicious
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars by Sweet Beginnings
- Pink Lemonade Rice Krispie Treats by Blogghetti
- Praline Ice Cream by Fresh April Flours
- Sponge Cake by Books n’ Cooks
- Spring Pastel Watercolor Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vegan Turtle Layer Cake by The Baking Fairy
- White Chocolate Carrot Cake Tea Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
I used these adorable sprinkles from Fresh April Sprinkles to add the final touch to these cake pops. This blend is called “Spring It On” and features a mix of pastel colors and Easter shapes.
Sprinkles are always a great way to add color and personality to a dessert. Fresh April Sprinkles offers fun blends of sprinkles for every holiday, season or occasion. These Spring sprinkles were just what I needed to finish off these cake pops.
To get the lemon flavor just right in these cake pops, I used fresh lemon zest and Lemon Extract from Adam’s Extract. This extract is made from oil of lemon, so it adds real lemon taste.
Lemon flavored cake mixes often taste fake to me, so I decided to opt for a yellow cake mix and add my own lemon flavoring for these cake pops. Using the lemon zest and extract resulted in just the right lemon flavor without being overpowering or artificial tasting.
- 1 (9x13) yellow cake mix, plus the ingredients called for on the box
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon extract
- Store-bought or homemade frosting (you'll only need a few spoonfuls)
- 24 ounces white candy wafers
- Cake pop sticks
1. Mix the cake according to the directions on the box, but add in the lemon zest and lemon extract as well. Bake according to the directions on the box. Let cool completely.
2. Crumble the cake into the bowl of your stand mixer. Beat for a minute to break the cake into small crumbles, then add a scoop of frosting. Mix and add more frosting if necessary until the mixture is able to be formed into balls but still a little crumbly.
3. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 2 hours or freeze for 1 hour.
4. Before removing the balls from the refrigerator or freezer, prepare your decorations. Have the sprinkles and cake pop sticks handy. Melt the candy wafers in a double boiler or the microwave. I like to pour the melted candy wafers into a 2 cup glass measuring cup for easy dunking.
5. Take out a few cake balls at a time. Take a stick and dip it in the melted white chocolate, then stick it into one of the cake balls. Dip completely into the melted chocolate. Gently spin and tap the pop to remove excess chocolate. Add some sprinkles and poke the pop in a styrofoam block to harden. Repeat for the remaining cake pops.
6. Store the cake pops in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can also freeze for up to 6 weeks and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Check out the amazing prizes you can win in our #SpringSweetsWeek Giveaway!
Prize #1: Millican Pecan is giving one winner a Tower of Treats!
Millican Pecan began when E.E. Risien, founded the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s at the junction of the San Saba and Colorado Rivers. He received much recognition for his experiments that altered the course of the pecan industry and helped to establish San Saba as the “Pecan Capital of the World.” From this location, they developed many great pecan varieties, as well as a prosperous orchard that serves our customers well, even to this day. Today Millican Pecan is being run by the 5th generation, the one that launched the Millican Pecan website in 2002. Visit https://millicanpecan.com/ to learn more about pecans, find delicious recipes, and buy their amazing pecans and pecan products.
Prize #2: Door County Coffee is giving one winner 20 full-pots of coffee and a Door County Coffee mug. Full pots will consist of seasonal flavors, flavored coffee, and non-flavored coffee.
Door County Coffee & Tea Co. was founded in 1993 in Door County, Wisconsin. It is a small, family-owned business, roasting coffee the old-fashioned way – in small batches to exacting specifications. The mission has always been to produce some of the best-tasting and highest quality coffee. They have over 100 types of coffee, all of which are roasted right on site. Visit https://www.doorcountycoffee.com/ to see their selection of coffees and teas as well as to find some fabulous recipes.
Prize #3: Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a set of Nordic Ware Bundt Pans. This set contains one Chiffon Bundt Pan and one Vaulted Cathedral Bundt Pan perfect for decorative baking.
Since 1917, Dixie Crystals® has been the South’s choice for high-quality sugar and sweeteners. Our pure cane sugar products are all natural, non-GMO and provide consistently delicious results. Visit www.dixiecrystals.com for hundreds of recipes, holiday ideas, great ways to get kids baking in the kitchen, and plenty of baking videos.
Prize #4: Anolon is giving one winner an Anolon Advanced 5 piece Bakeware set. This nonstick bakeware set includes two 8 inch round cake pans, one 8 inch square cake pan, a 10 x 15 cookie pan, and a 9.25 x 14 cooling rack! It’s the perfect set for any baker.
Established in 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware and by 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware that would revolutionize the world of home cooking because the nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily. Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior that is made with a special blend of sapphire-reinforced nonstick that is triple coated. Visit https://anolon.com to see their selection of cookware, bakeware, tools, and to get amazing recipes.
Prize #5: Fresh April Sprinkles is giving one winner their choice of three 4 ounce bags of sprinkles! Winner can choose from favorites like the Birthday Party Blend, Cotton Candy Blend, Pink Lemonade Blend, and so many others!
Fresh April Sprinkles was founded in the summer of 2019 by Lynn April who runs the food blog Fresh April Flours. They produce small batch, hand blended sprinkles in a suburb outside of Philadelphia. Our sprinkle blends are carefully crafted with beautiful desserts in mind and can be custom blended just for you! Visit https://freshaprilsprinkles.com to see the collection of sprinkles available or to find recipes from Lynn!
Prize #6: Adams Extract is giving one winner an Adams baking pack with 4-6 items including their amazing 4oz Adams Best® Vanilla Flavor. This prize package is great for anyone who loves to bake!
John A. Adams began making and selling his Green Plant Sarsaparilla extract in 1888 in Battle Creek, Michigan. In 1905, he moved his family to Beeville, Texas. Working with just $6.71 worth of materials on top of an old icebox, John A. Adams created a new formula for vanilla. His wife tested it by whipping up a cake and announced, “John, this is the BEST flavoring I have ever used.” “Well, that’s old man Adams BEST,” he responded. The name stuck, and Adams Best was born! Today, Adams manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, and many more. To learn more about Adams Extract, to shop their products, or to find delicious recipes visit https://www.adamsextract.com.
Prize #7: Deiss Kitchenware is giving one winner a kitchen utensil prize package! The winner will receive a digital thermometer, a grater, an apple slicer and corer set, and a 5 piece utensil set!
Deiss Kitchenware is a small, family driven company that believes it’s easy to cook with pleasure when you have the right tools. This company will bend over backwards to make you happy and the president of the company will even answer your letters! They create easy to use, innovative, and reliable products for use in your kitchen. To learn more about the company and the products they sell visit https://deisskitchenware.de/.
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Millican Pecan, Door County Coffee & Tea Co., Anolon, Fresh April Sprinkles, Deiss Kitchenware, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.