A healthy snack that is perfect for kids, or the kid in you! These Homemade Mixed Berry & Spinach Gummies are sugar free and packed with fruits and veggies.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, you will be supporting A Savory Feast at no extra cost to you.
I loved fruit snacks as a kid and still do! But it’s something I don’t usually buy since they are often packed with sugar and other unhealthy ingredients.
We’ve been introducing some foods to William, which has really made me think about the snacks I’m eating. So far he hasn’t been very interested in food, but he likes to reach for whatever I’m snacking on and give it a try.
So instead of packed, processed snacks, I’ve been buying more fresh fruits and vegetables, hummus, guacamole and the like. I’ve also been experimenting with homemade snacks like this. While it might not always be possible, I’d like to try to make a lot of homemade snacks and meals for him instead of store bought.
If you’ve never made gummies at home, don’t worry! They are super easy to make. This recipe starts with frozen fruits! So you don’t have to worry about cleaning and cutting up fresh fruit. It saves a lot of time when making this snack!
Thaw out the fruit in the microwave and blend it up with some spinach leaves and a little bit of juice. To make these gummies completely sugar free, make sure to choose a juice without sugar.
Once the fruit and spinach is blended, it goes into a skillet on the stove to be combined with the gelatin and vanilla. Then the mixture is poured into a pan lined with parchment paper and refrigerated for 3 hours.
And once the gummies are set, all you have to do is cut them into squares! Can you believe how easy that is? Just 15 minutes of work and then you let the refrigerator do the rest.
Even with the hidden spinach, your kids will love these! They are still sweet even without any sugar. You can cut them up into any size you like or even use cookie cutter to make fun shapes. I cut mine into 1-inch squares which were perfect for my baby’s little hands to pick up.
Mix It Up!
Customize the fruits you use in this recipe! Just use the same amount of another fresh or frozen fruit. I’ve also made this recipe with just strawberry or just blueberries. You can also omit the spinach if you prefer or use less of it!
Love making healthy snacks like this for your kids? Be sure to pin this recipe! You can also subscribe to receive my recipes by email. Get snack recipes like this, easy dinner ideas, yummy desserts and more sent to your inbox.
- 4 packets unflavored gelatin, (Each packet contains about 2 1/4 teaspoons of gelatin)
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup juice or water
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Thaw the berries in by defrosting in the microwave or by setting out on the counter until thawed. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper. Place the cold water in a bowl and whisk in the gelatin powder. Let bloom while you start on the fruit mixture.
- Add the berries, juice and spinach leaves to a blender and blend until smooth. If desired, strain the mixture at this point to remove the seeds. I left them in, but if your kids are picky about that you might want to strain!
- Pour the blended mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Once it is warm, add in the gelatin/water mixture. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let sit for about 10 minutes or until cooled slightly.
- Pour the berry mixture into the pan and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
I have made this with both juice and water for the liquid. Both turn out great! If you want these to be free from added sugar, either use water or choose a juice that does not contain added sugar.