Looking for a quick, easy and delicious lunch that you can make ahead for the entire week? These DIY Instant Noodle Cups are just the thing!
I’m kicking of 2016 by getting back on track with healthy eating. One of my weaknesses lately has been lunch. I used to plan ahead for lunch when I went to work, but since I’ve been working from home I’ve slacked off a bit.
Usually, that means lunch time arrives and I have to figure out what to eat. I found myself being lazy and grabbing food on the go way too much! I’m making it a point this new year to plan ahead so that I have healthy lunches for each day of the week.
I found an idea for making instant noodle cups on The Kitchn and decided to try making my own version.
These cups are gluten free since they are made with rice noodles, and have lots of veggies, herbs and other delicious flavors.
You can leave these cups in the fridge for up to a week after making them, so they are the perfect lunch to pack ahead at the beginning of the week. Just make one for each day!
Once it’s time for lunch, preparing your noodle cups is so simple! Boil some water on the stove or in the microwave and add it to the mason jars. Seal the lid and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I usually poured everything into a bowl to eat, but you can even eat right out of the mason jar if you like!
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn.
For each cup, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons soup stock base, I used Better Than Bouillon Chicken
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon frozen peas
- 1/2 cup uncooked thin rice noodles, I used the Thai Kitchen brand
- 1 tablespoon bean sprouts, fresh or canned both work
- 1 tablespoon green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
To prepare the cups:
- Layer the ingredients in the order listed in a pint-sized mason jar or other heat-safe container.
- Seal the lid on tight and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat, up to 1 week.
To cook the cups:
- When you are ready to eat, open a jar and fill with boiling water until the noodles are covered. Seal the jar back up and let steep for 2-3 minutes.
- Open the jar and stir thoroughly to mix the flavors throughout. You could also pour into another bowl to mix.
- Enjoy immediately!