A favorite dinner recipe gets a healthier twist in this Greek Yogurt Parmesan Crusted Chicken. This meal is ready in under 30 minutes and is so easy to throw together. Start with boneless chicken breasts and coat them in greek yogurt. Next comes a flavorful parmesan and bread crumb coating. Throw it in the oven and it’s ready to serve!
You’ve probably made the original version of this dish before. It uses mayonnaise to coat the chicken before adding a breadcrumb mixture.
I was getting ready to make that recipe the other day when I saw my container of greek yogurt in the fridge. I’ve used greek yogurt in other recipes as a substitute for mayo since it has a similar texture, so I decided to give it a try.
It worked perfectly! What I loved most about the original recipe was how juicy the chicken turns out. Using greek yogurt instead of mayo still gave this chicken a nice, juicy texture.
I like to buy the big containers of plain greek yogurt to keep in the fridge. I use it in lots of different recipes from dinner, to desserts to smoothies. It’s good for you and makes a great substitute for lots of different ingredients.
You’ve gotta love an easy, 30 minute meal like this. There aren’t a lot of steps, so it is ready to put in the oven quickly. While it’s cooking, you have time to make the sides to go with your meal.
This recipe can also be made gluten free if you like. Many stores sell gluten free breadcrumbs. I tried that out with this recipe and bought one that was made with rice flour. It tasted just like regular breadcrumbs to me!
I’ve also used this recipe to make chicken nuggets! Instead of leaving the chicken breasts whole, cut them into cubes before coating in the greek yogurt and the breadcrumb mixture. You’ll need extra breadcrumb mixture to make sure the nuggets are completely coated.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with cooking spray or lining with tin foil.
- Place the greek yogurt in a bowl that is big enough to fit one chicken breast. In another bowl of the same size, mix together the parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and all the spices.
- Take one chicken breast and place it in the bowl with the greek yogurt. Use your hands to coat the chicken breast with greek yogurt. Next, place the chicken breast in the breadcrumb mixture and generously coat. Place the chicken breast on the baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the breadcrumb coating is just browned and the chicken is cooked. Serve immediately.
GLUTEN FREE VERSION: This recipe can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free breadcrumbs.
CHICKEN NUGGETS: I love using this recipe to make nuggets, too! Instead of leaving the chicken breasts whole, cut them into 1-inch cubes. You'll need to double the breadcrumb mixture so you are able to coat all of the nuggets. They might cook a little bit faster, so set your timer for 15 minutes and check where they are at.