Weeknight dinners can be both fancy AND easy! This Goat Cheese and Tomato Pesto Chicken is so flavorful, yet so simple to throw together. Use store-bought or homemade pesto to season the chicken and add fresh cherry tomatoes and goat cheese before baking.
Ok, get ready for the EASIEST one dish meal that is packed with so much flavor! This Goat Cheese and Tomato Pesto Chicken has been one of our go-to dinners the past couple months (looking for more inspiration? Here’s my most recent dinner rotation post).
I usually make this dish with store bought pesto because it makes things so simple. My favorite pesto is from Aldi! Of course, this dish is also amazing with homemade pesto if you have the ingredients on hand. This pesto recipe from Damn Delicious is super tasty.
This recipe can work great as a low-carb, one dish meal if you like, or you can serve it with a carb or veggie! Here are some of my favorite things to serve with this Goat Cheese and Tomato Pesto Chicken:
- Garlic Bread
- Zucchini Noodles
- Spaghetti Squash
- Sautéed Spinach
Making this meal only takes a few easy steps. Start by pounding the chicken breasts and cutting each in half length-wise. Alternatively, you could buy chicken that is cut into tenders instead of whole breasts.
Using smaller pieces of chicken means that this meal will cook faster AND get more of the yummy pesto flavor on each bite of chicken. Put the chicken in a prepared baking dish and spread the pesto on it.
Next, chop up cherry or grape tomatoes and add them to the dish. The final step is a generous helping of goat cheese spread over the dish. If you aren’t a fan of goat cheese, this dish would also be delicious with fresh mozzarella or shredded parmesan cheese.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup pesto (homemade or store-bought, see note)
- 1 pint cherry (or grape) tomatoes
- 4 oz goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Drizzle olive oil in a baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
- Pound the chicken and cut each breast in half length-wise (cutting into strips is optional, but makes the dish more flavorful and helps it to cook faster) . Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, place in the baking dish.
- Spoon the pesto over the chicken and use the spoon to spread it over all of the chicken.
- Slice the tomatoes length-wise and distribute evenly in the pan. Spoon the goat cheese evenly around the pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked throughly.
Pesto: You can use either store-bought or homemade pesto for this recipe. I love Aldi's pesto! If you want to make it yourself and don't have a recipe, this is one from Damn Delicious is so good!