Snack better and save money with these Dark Chocolate & Peanut Butter Granola Bars! Easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
I love snacking. I also love to save money! I’ve been buying a bar from the grocery store a few times a week to hold me over between my workout and dinner. I got to thinking that it would be way cheaper to make a whole batch myself instead of spending almost $2 on each bar!
So I decided to start experimenting. What you see here is my first creation! I wanted it to be low in sugar, and filled with ingredients that would replenish my body after a workout. Oats and peanut butter were a great combo!
Lately I’ve been think about the lifestyle changes I’ve made over the past couple of years, especially when it comes to my eating habits. One of the hardest things to change was my snacking habits!
I’ve learned that I have to be prepared and have healthy snacks in the house (and bring them with wherever I go). Because when I’m hungry, I will eat whatever I have around me. Whether or not it’s good for me!
These bars are the perfect solution because they are quick and easy to make. They are no-bake, so you can mix them up and throw them in the fridge. Simple!
I’m excited to mix up this recipe next time and try a new flavor. What do you think I should try? I’m thinking something with dried fruit would be delicious!
- 1/2 cup dates
- 2 cups peanut butter, I used crunchy, but any will work
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cups oats, uncooked
- 3 oz dark chocolate, I used a bar, but chips will work, too
- Put the dates, peanut butter, honey and flax seeds in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and add the oats. Mix until completely combined (you might have to use your hands to do this). This mixture should be pretty gooey, so the bars stay together nicely. If it seems too dry, add a little extra honey.
- Line a 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper. Dump the mixture into the pan and press into the pan so it is even.
- Melt the dark chocolate. Drizzle on top of the bars.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour. Slice into bars. Keep the leftovers in the refrigerator.
What is your favorite healthy snack?