Winter is here in full force! This weather has me craving a warm bowl of soup like this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup. A hearty, flavorful soup packed with veggies that is perfect for a cold weather or sick days!
It’s been chilly all over the country the past few weeks, and we even got some colder weather here in Florida. Last week was the coldest week we’ve had in about eight years!
While lows in the 30’s and days that get to about 50 degrees might not be cold compared to where you live, it’s pretty cold for a Floridian! I spent the week bundled up while making soups and baking.
Even though this soup is creamy, it’s still light and mostly healthy. It’s got lots of veggies in addition to the chicken and pasta.
You can make it even healthier by using olive oil instead of butter and choosing a gluten free pasta.
My family has been fighting colds since right after Christmas, so this soup was just the thing to help us feel better!
It’s also the beginning of the year, so I’ve set a goal for 2018 to include more vegetables in our meals. One creative way that I have found to accomplish this is to grate veggies like carrots or zucchini and add them to the meal I’m making. It doesn’t change much of the taste or texture, but you get extra nutrition in the dish!
This soup sure hit the spot for us! It was just the thing on a cold day after a week of fighting colds.
I made some homemade biscuits to go with it. They were great for dipping in the soup! Crackers would also go great with this soup.
Pin the image below to save this recipe for later!
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 2-3 medium carrots, grated using a grater or food processor
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups uncooked pasta of your choice, I used gluten free shells
- 1 cup peas, fresh, frozen or canned all work
- Melt the butter or heat the olive oil in a soup pan over medium high heat. Add in the minced garlic and diced onions and cook for about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the chicken and brown for 1-2 minutes on each side. Lower the heat to medium and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Pour in the chicken broth, water and heavy cream. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the uncooked pasta, grated carrots and peas. Boil for 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are cooked.
This recipe can also be made using leftover chicken or turkey. Skip step 2 and add in the cooked chicken or turkey when you add in the pasta.