I think every weekend needs to start with a big, special breakfast like this! Cinnamon French Toast Bake is simple to assemble (no need to put it together the night before!). Sweetened only with maple syrup, it’s a breakfast choice that is a little bit healthier, too.
Nothing says comfort food better than a breakfast casserole. Cubes of french bread, eggs, milk, maple syrup and cinnamon all combine into a dish that you will be excited to wake up to. Not gonna lie, I had this casserole for lunch, too!
I’m a big fan of overnight casseroles, but I’m notorious for not thinking about it until the morning of. So for this recipe I experimented with leaving out the whole “overnight” part.
When you let the casserole sit overnight, the bread soaks up almost all of the egg and milk mixture. This version is more egg-y. So if that floats your boat, keep reading…
Instead of adding a bunch of sugar to this breakfast, it’s sweetened with real maple syrup. You can serve it with extra maple syrup for a little more sweetness!
Pin the image below to save this recipe for later!
- 1 loaf french bread, cut into cubes
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, plus more to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 2.5 quart baking dish or 9x13 inch pan.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add in the maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish, making sure to coat all of bread pieces. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Let soak for at least 5 minutes before putting it in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Serve with additional maple syrup to drizzle if desired.