I have to admit, when I decided to try making these Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls, I thought it would be a quick and easy recipe! Every other “cake mix” recipe I have made just requires you to add a couple things and you are good to go. While this recipe turns out so good, be prepared to take almost 2 hours to make them!
I’ve never made my own cinnamon rolls before, and I can see why most people buy the packaged kind. However, its definitely worth the time and effort for the fresh taste of the homemade version. If you have plenty of time on a Saturday morning, give these a try!
Here’s the Recipe:
For the rolls:
3 (.25 oz) packages of active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoons cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup white sugar
1. In a small bowl, mix the yeast with warm water until dissolved. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with cake mix, salt and 3 cups of the flour, mix well.
3. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Knead on a floured surface for about 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
5. Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough in it. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
6. Deflate the dough and place on a floured surface. Roll out into a 10×16 inch rectangle.
7. Spread the softened butter over the rectangle. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
8. Roll up the rectangle starting from one of the long sides. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
9. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 inch pan. Place rolls into the pan, they should fit snuggly.
10. Mix the melted butter and sugar in a small bowl. Pour over top of the rolls.
11. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
12. Bake for 20 minutes, or until rolls are golden.
Pure Grace Farms says
I want one! I’m going to miss things like these. I’m starting to eat healthy again, blah. Haha. I like how fluffy they look, like it would melt in your mouth. Happy Thursday!
A Savory Feast says
They were so good! They are definitely worth it, even if they aren’t good for you.
Susie (The Esthetic Goddess) says
Saving to favorites so I came make this some time! It looks so delicious!
A Savory Feast says
Thanks! It’s worth it for sure.
You NEED!!! to post this on this week’s What We Eat Wednesday! YUMMY! 🙂
Alexis ♥ Laugh. Eat. Learn.
Kristina & Millie says
these look amazing! I must have at least a dozen!
I’d love to know if and how you could incorporate pumpkin in these.
Jenna Brussee says
That could be really good! I may need to try that soon.
As soon as you figure out the recipe that works with pumpkin in them, please post immediately!…Thanks.