Bacon and cheese is probably one of the best combinations, wouldn’t you agree? I use some form of this combo for so many of my recipes! Today, I’m sharing the best meatloaf I’ve ever made: Bacon & Goat Cheese Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf.
Goat cheese is something I just don’t use enough of! It’s one of my favorite cheeses (up there with blue cheese for sure). I especially love how it tastes warm, so I knew it would be the perfect thing to stuff this meatloaf with.
I try to use ground turkey when I can, since it’s leaner than ground beef. I actually prefer it for meatloaf. If you would rather use beef, feel free to do that instead.
I also like to make my meatloaf without breadcrumbs so it’s lower in carbs. It doesn’t change the taste too much for me and the egg helps to hold the meat together. If you prefer to add breadcrumbs, add up to one cup when you mix up the meat.
To make stuffed meatloaf, first mix up the meat. I used ground turkey and mixed in eggs, chopped onions, tomato sauce, crumbled bacon and spices. I like to use my KitchenAid Mixer to make this step super easy!
Next, spread a piece of cling wrap on the counter and spread your turkey mixture into a rectangle. Place the goat cheese in the center and use the cling wrap to help you roll up the meatloaf and transfer to a loaf pan. Top with a little more tomato sauce for the finishing touch.
All that’s left to do is bake! While the meatloaf is in the oven, you have time to focus on side dishes or do something else!
This dinner recipe is so quick to throw together. Meatloaf does have to cook for awhile, you will want to plan ahead for that. But after about 15 minutes of prep work you’ll have it in the oven.
Now that I’ve made this recipe, I’m itching to try stuffing meatloaf with other fillings. Maybe other cheeses or even vegetables. The possibilities are endless!
More Ground Turkey Recipe Ideas
This post was originally published on A Savory Feast on March 23, 2015. The photos and post have been updated but the recipe remains the same.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked
- Salt, pepper, oregano, onion powder and garlic powder to taste
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3-4 oz goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease a loaf pan.
- Place the turkey in a bowl and crack the eggs into the bowl. Add the onion, bacon and garlic and mix well.
- Add the seasonings (I used a few dashes of each). Pour in about 1/2 of the can of tomato sauce and mix well.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the counter and roll your meat out onto it. Shape into a rectangle.
- Spread the goat cheese out in a line in the middle of the rectangle.
- Use the plastic wrap to roll up the rectangle and transfer it to the loaf pan. Pour the remaining tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with a little extra oregano.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
Have you ever made stuffed meatloaf? What did you use for the filling?