Quinoa salads are my jam! I’m huge on texture when it comes to foods, so I love combining all sorts of ingredients into one dish. Plus, it’s an all-in-one meal that take less than 30 minutes to whip up.
When I find a new type of food or ingredient I love, I tend to go a little crazy with it! I’ve already been on a quinoa kick and an avocado kick in the the past couple years. A month or so ago I discovered quinoa salads and I’ve been trying a new version pretty much every week.
When I was on my avocado craze last year, Andrew and I came up with an Avocado Vegenaise Sauce. It’s a healthy, easy to whip up sauce that can be used as a spread for burgers or sandwiches, a topping for fish, or even a salad dressing. I used this sauce as the dressing for this quinoa salad.
All-in-one meals like this have really come in handy for me lately! I’ve been relying on them as well as crock pot meals during the crazy few weeks I’ve had lately.
Summer can be a busy time for all of us, so dinners like this make it easier to cook no matter what your schedule looks like. This nice thing about this salad is that it tastes best cold. So you can make it in the morning or even put a big batch together one night and eat the leftovers for a few days.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp vegenaise
- 1/2 fresh lime juice
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Onion Powder to taste
For the salad:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tbsp oil, I used coconut
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed (season with salt and pepper)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and mix until creamy. Cover and place in the refrigerator until you are ready for it.
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a large skillet on high. Brown the chicken for 2 minutes on each side, lower the heat to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, chicken, lettuce, tomato and bacon bits. Mix to combine. Drizzle the avocado lime dressing and mix until the salad is well coated.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.
What’s your go-to meal for a busy night?