Start your day with these healthy and hearty Apple Oatmeal Muffins. So easy to make and so good! Made with oats instead of flour and sweetened with applesauce and agave nectar.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, you will be supporting A Savory Feast at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
One of my favorite things for an easy breakfast is muffins. But most of them are so bad for you! Usually they are packed with carbs and sugar.
This healthier version is made with oat flour and sweetened with applesauce and agave nectar.
You can even use my homemade Pear and Apple Sauce recipe instead of store bought applesauce if you want!
My toddler is also a huge muffin fan. They never last long in our house! He will eat them for breakfast and snacks throughout the day. He can eat 4 or 5 in a day!
I try to avoid using processed sugar for his snacks. Sugar is for special treats in our house! Instead I like to sweeten his muffins with things like agave nectar, fruit, honey or maple syrup.
I use oats and blend them up to create an oat flour to use in these muffins instead of using white flour. I also add whole oats to give these muffins a great, hearty texture. Paired with the applesauce, these muffins are just perfect for Fall!
You can make these muffins for an easy, on-the-go breakfast or a snack. They last for several days, so you’ll have something healthy ready for you each morning.
Need More Muffin Recipes?
Want to Substitute?
If desired, you can use a different milk instead of the coconut milk. I’ve also made these with almond milk and cows milk and they turn out great.
If you don’t have agave nectar or want to try some thing else, I’ve also made these with maple syrup. Honey would also work great.
Pin the Image Below to Save this Recipe for Later
This post was originally published on A Savory Feast on January 14, 2016. The photos and text have been updated but the recipe is the same. Adapted from my Gluten Free Blueberry Oat Muffin recipe.
- 3 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place liners in a 12 count muffin pan or use nonstick spray.
- Place 2 cups of the oats in a food processor or blender. Pulse on high until the mixture forms a flour consistency.
- Place the oat flour you just made into a large bowl along with the other 1 cup of oats. Add the baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- Add the unsweetened applesauce, coconut milk, coconut oil and agave nectar. Stir until completely blended.
- Divide the batter into the muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes or until golden browned.
Substitutions: I've also made these with almond milk or cows milk instead of the coconut milk. You can also substitute the agave nectar with maple syrup or honey.