Make a much better for you version of this childhood favorite at home! Just a few ingredients is all you need to make this no-sugar-added Very Berry Fruit Leather.
I’m a sucker for fruit snacks. Whether it’s fruit leather, gummy candies, Gushers, or Fruit Roll Ups, I love them all.
The problem with all those snacks is that they are usually loaded with tons of sugar. So I decided to give making my own fruit leather a shot.
I started with two of my favorite fresh berries: strawberries and blueberries. This recipe could easily be customized with other types of fruits. Next time I might add some raspberries, too!
I used my Ninja Blender to easily mix up the purée. Lately I’ve been trying to see how many different ways I can use my blender. I’ve made sauces, blender brownies, and turned oats into oat flour. It’s such a handy tool to have in your kitchen.
- 1 lb strawberries
- 6 oz blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Preheat the oven to 170 F.
- Rinse the strawberries and blueberries. Check to be sure there are no stems on the blueberries, hull and halve the strawberries. Place the fruit in a sauce pan.
- Add water and agave nectar to the sauce pan and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour fruit into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste the purée and add more agave nectar if necessary.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and spread about half of the fruit purée on each one in a thin layer. Bake for 4-6 hours (rotating the pans every hour or two) or until no longer sticky. Let cool and then cut into strips. Store in an airtight container.
What was your favorite childhood snack?