I love Indian food, but I’ve always been nervous to try making it from scratch. Their sauces are so flavorful and I didn’t know if I would be able to recreate that at home. The New Indian Slow Cookerchanged my mind!
The pictures in this cookbook are absolute gorgeous. They capture the style of Indian food perfectly. All of my favorite dishes are in this book, from curries to Masalas to a Tomato-Butter Sauce that I recently made.
This isn’t your average cookbook! It begins with an introduction to Indian cooking and an explanation of the traditional Indian spices and other ingredients. I had a hard time finding a lot of the spices in my local grocery stores, but they can be ordered online.
The first recipe I tried from this cookbook was Tomato-Butter Sauce. The recipe is only for the sauce. The book suggests adding “sauteed pieces of boneless chicken, to make chicken tikka masala.” I cubed boneless chicken and cooked it in a skillet with a little bit of salt to season it. Once it was cooked thoroughly, I added it into the slow cooker while I finished making the rice.
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¼ tsp saffron thread (optional)
- 2 (28 oz) cans tomato sauce. Preferably without salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 (2 ½ inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and diced
- 2 or 3 serrano chiles, minced
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp roasted ground cumin
- ¾ to 1 tsp ground Indian red chile
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 heaping tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat the cooker on high and add the butter to melt. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and half-and-half to the melted butter. Add the saffron and mix well.
- Add the tomato sauce, then rinse the cans with ¼ cup of water each to get all the sauce; add this to the cooker.
- Add the ginger, Serrano chiles, garam masala, cumin, ground red chile, salt, sugar and genugreek, and mix well. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in cilantro.
I am looking forward to trying more of the recipes from this book. If you want to try making Indian dishes at home, be sure to grab a copy of The New Indian Slow Cooker.
I was sent this book to review from Blogging for Books. However, all opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links.