I’ve never created a recipe based on a movie before, so I wasn’t sure where to start! I really enjoyed the American Sniper movie, so I started brainstorming how I could make a recipe based on it.
The main character in the movie, Chris Kyle, is from Texas. I started researching desserts from Texas, and came across a peach cobbler. There were several variations, so I combined some of my favorite elements of each one to create this dessert.
This dessert ended up being closer to a peach crisp. A cobbler has pie crust on the bottom with biscuits on top, while a crisp just has a layer of crunchy topping.
This dessert is so easy to make! There are only a few easy ingredients, and you will have them mixed up and baking in minutes. I was surprised at how quickly I had it ready from start to finish. Perfect for quickly satisfying a dessert craving.
- 2 (15.2 oz) cans sliced peaches in heavy syrup
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease or butter a cast iron skillet. You can use whatever size you have, just know that the bigger it is, the thinner your crisp will be. I used two 6-inch skillets.
- Pour the peaches and syrup into the skillet on medium high.
- While you wait for the peaches to boil, mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until crumbly.
- When the peaches get to a boil, sprinkle with topping. Place in the oven and baked for 15 minutes or until topping is browned.
- Enjoy with vanilla ice cream.
In honor of the Academy Awards next Sunday, Feb. 22, I have teamed up with 15 incredible bloggers to bring you an awesome giveaway!
One lucky reader will win a streaming media player — their choice of an Amazon Fire TV, an Apple TV or a Roku 3. It always seems to be a challenge to catch up on the year’s best films, so I’m thrilled to give you the chance to do so!
Each of the participating bloggers has prepared an Oscar-themed recipe, and they’re up for best recipe! When you participate in the giveaway, be sure to vote for your favorite. The winning blogger will get $50 in cash!
Meet the amazing bloggers bringing you this giveaway!
Anne from Wit Wisdom and Food // Beth from bethcakes // Cat from The Rustic Willow // Cate from Chez Catey Lou // Erin from The Speckled Palate // Ginnie from Hello Little Home // Grace from Think Fruitful // Jenna from A Savory Feast // Katie from Twin Stripe // LeAndra from Love & Flour // Leia from Eat It & Say Yum // Linda from Brunch with Joy // Madison from The Wetherills Say I Do // Meghan from Cake ‘n’ Knife // Molly from Hey There Sunshine // Susannah from Feast + West
The Oscar Noms Party
Menu & Movies
Pork Tenderloin Sliders – The Judge
Aged Cheddar & Apple Grilled Cheese – Boyhood
Pull-Apart Pepperoni Pizza Bread – Whiplash
Asparagus Rolls – Into the Woods
Texas Quesadilla with Chunky Guacamole – The American Sniper
Magic Garbanzo Beans – Into the Woods
Nutella Mochi – Big Hero 6
Rocket Raccoon Cake – Guardians of the Galaxy
Texas Peach Crisp Skillet – American Sniper
Camouflage Mini Cheesecakes – American Sniper
Courtesan au Chocolat – Grand Budapest Hotel
Butterscotch Pudding – Gone Girl
Chocolate-Covered Cherry Granola – Wild
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 35 additional entries by following the giveaway sponsors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the info as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. EST. One winner will be chosen at random and emailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $100. Prizes shown in the graphic are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of Feb. 16, 2015.