You’ve got to try this refreshing layer cake this summer! This Key Lime Layer Cake is made from scratch with a secret ingredient to give it a pretty lime color!
Today I’m excited to join in The Great Wayfair Cake Off! Wayfair selected a few food bloggers like myself to create a cake recipe using fresh fruit. One winner will be selected next week as the Great Cakeoff champion!
I’m hoping to win with my beautiful Key Lime Layer Cake. Earlier this year I shared my Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Layer Cake, and I’ve been dying to create another decadent layer cake ever since.
I’ve got to admit, I’ve been dreading the hot Florida summer this year. I just entered my third trimester of pregnancy, and it is no fun being hugely pregnant during the summer heat!
But if anything can get me excited about summer, it’s this cake. One of my favorite hot weather desserts is key lime pie. I decided to use that same flavor to create a gorgeous layer cake.
The layers of this cake are made from scratch and include fresh lime juice and a secret ingredient to give the cake a pretty lime color and extra pop of flavor — lime Jello!
The frosting is also made from scratch using my favorite cheesecake frosting recipe. The result is a super sweet and slightly tart cake that will be a hit for any occasion.
Creating and decorating layer cakes is so much fun! I topped this cake with slices of fresh limes as well as some lime zest. This adds just a hint of extra lime flavor to the top of the cake, too.
So grab a slice and celebrate the beginning of summer with me, heat and all! This cake is sure to cool you off.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 (3 oz) box lime Jello mix
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 tbsp water, room temperature
- 2 key limes (use the juice for the cake and the zest for the topping)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Lime zest (set aside from the cake)
- 1 key lime, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line the bottoms of two 9" round baking pans with parchment paper and grease sides.
- Zest both limes and set the zest aside to use to top the cake. Juice the limes and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed for about 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract, mix. Add in the egg whites in two batches. Make sure everything is combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, Jello mix, baking powder and salt. In a cup, combine the milk,water and key lime juice.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the large mixing bowl and mix until combined. Add in the milk mixture and mix until combined. Finally, add in the rest of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Divide the batter into the cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Beat butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes until fluffy. Mix in vanilla, powdered sugar and milk and beat for another 3-5 minutes.
- Place one layer of the cake on a cake stand. Spread about half of the frosting on top of the cake.
- Place the next cake layer on top of the frosting. Spread the remaining frosting on top of the cake.
- Garnish with lime zest and lime slices.