Craving a dessert that is over-the-top with flavor? This gorgeous cupcake layers brownie mix, red velvet cake mix and a tasty buttercream frosting! Because it’s made with mixes, it’s super quick and easy to whip up and tastes like you put a lot of time into it.
You can pick whatever brownie mix you like, I used this Triple Chocolate mix from Duncan Hines. I love a good red velvet cake, and it tastes so good combined with the brownie mix.
It’s crazy how RED the red velvet is when you mix it up! But after it bakes it turns a darker shade of red.
I also included the recipe I used for the buttercream frosting. You won’t believe how easy it is to make!
Here’s the recipe:
1 (18 oz box) brownie mix
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 (15.5 oz box) red velvet cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cups of oil
1. For the brownie layer: combine brownie mix, 1 egg, 1/4 cup of water and 1/3 cup of oil in a large bowl. Mix well.
2. For the cake layer: mix the cake mix, 3 eggs, 1 cup of water and 1/3 cup of oil in another large bowl. Mix well.
3. Place 40-45 cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
4. Pour brownie mix into each cupcake liner to fill it about 1/3 of the way.
5. Pour cake mix into each cupcake liner to fill it the remaining 2/3.
6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
7. Let cool and frost with butter cream frosting (see recipe below)
For the buttercream frosting:
1/3 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk, or enough to make smooth
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, salt and vanilla.
2. Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
3. Add milk and mix until smooth.