There has been a bad cold bug making it’s way through my area. I’ve been fighting it for an entire week now! Fortunately I only felt sick for a couple of days, but I just can’t seem to shake the cough and stuffy nose.
Typically, I’m not real big on soup, but there is something about being sick that just makes your body crave chicken noodle soup. I substituted quinoa for the noodles to give this classic a healthy twist.
- 3 large chicken breast
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (8.75 oz) can corn
- 3 green onions, diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- Boil the chicken in a pot of water for 10 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- Let cool and shred with a fork.
- In a large pot, saute the onions and garlic in the oil on high.
- Add corn and green onions, stir.
- Pour in broth, quinoa, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken, lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
I thought this recipe was great served with Club Crackers, or whatever kind of crackers you have on hand will work too.