Overnight French Toast is the perfect thing to make for a weekend breakfast. Just put the ingredients together before you go to bed and the next morning all you need to do is stick it in the oven. Strawberries are my favorite fruit and they tasted so good in this french toast! You could always substitute it for another fruit such as blueberries if you wanted.
Challah, or egg bread, is a sweet bread that is braided. It’s super light and fluffy, so when you finish the second layer of bread it will most likely be higher than the sides of the pan (see above picture). Once you add the egg mixture and press down, the bread will absorb the mixture and shrink down (below).
Here’s the recipe:
1 (16 oz) challah bread loaf, cubed
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen both work!)
1/2 cup strawberry preserves
1. Arrange half of the bread in a lightly greased 9×13-inch pan.
2. Sprinkle with cream cheese, about 1 cup of the strawberries, and about 1/4 cup of the preserves.
3. Top with the remaining bread.
4. Whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter and syrup; pour over bread mixture. Press the bread cubes to absorb the egg mixture.
5. Top with about 1/2 cup of strawberries. Cover and chill 8 hours.
6. Bake, covered at 350 for 25 minutes.
7. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes.
8. Heat the remaining strawberries and preserves in a saucepan over low heat and serve over the toast.