Celebrate special occasions or the weekend with these Homemade Pancake Toppings! Caramel Sauce and Whipped Cream are so easy to make and taste so good on top of your favorite pancakes.
It’s my birthday today! What better way to celebrate than with a couple recipes for my favorite meal of the day: breakfast!
I am one of those people who eats breakfast every single day. I just can’t start my day without it! And whenever Andrew and I get a day off together, we love to make a special breakfast or go out to one of our favorite places.
First, I made a homemade caramel sauce based on the sauce I use in my Caramel Dutch Apple Pie. This sauce is so simple to make, you won’t want to go back to store bought! You can keep any extra in the refrigerator and reheat it in the microwave. We’ve used it as an ice cream topping as well and it’s delicious!
I had bought a pint of heavy whipping cream for my Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Layer Cake that appeared on the blog last week.
Lately I’ve been on this kick where I try to use up everything I buy before it goes bad, so I had to find a use for the extra heavy whipping cream. Making my own whipped cream was the perfect solution!
Our favorite pancake mixes are from Trader Joe’s. We finished up the last of a pumpkin mix we had bought last Fall. It’s definitely the best one, and I’ll be stocking up on them next Fall!
These homemade toppings would go great with regular pancakes as well, whether you make them from a mix or from scratch.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp white corn syrup
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chill a whisk, immersion blender (just the part with the blade) or mixing beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes before making the whipped cream.
- Pour the heavy cream into a mixing bowl and use your chilled whisk, immersion blender or mixer to whip the heavy cream until it forms whipped cream consistency.
- Stir in the sugar and vanilla.
- If you aren't serving your whipped cream immediately, chill in the refrigerator.
- In a medium skillet, mix the brown sugar, milk, water and cornstarch. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring once. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla.
- Let cool for a few minutes before drizzling over the pancakes.
What are your favorite pancake toppings?