A healthy snack that is perfect for kids, or the kid in you! These Homemade Mixed Berry & Spinach Gummies are sugar free and packed with fruits and veggies.
I loved fruit snacks as a kid and still do! But it’s something I don’t usually buy since they are often packed with sugar and other unhealthy ingredients.
We’ve been introducing some foods to William, which has really made me think about the snacks I’m eating. So far he hasn’t been very interested in food, but he likes to reach for whatever I’m snacking on and give it a try.
So instead of packed, processed snacks, I’ve been buying more fresh fruits and vegetables, hummus, guacamole and the like. I’ve also been experimenting with homemade snacks like this. While it might not always be possible, I’d like to try to make a lot of homemade snacks and meals for him instead of store bought.
If you’ve never made gummies at home, don’t worry! They are super easy to make. This recipe starts with frozen fruits! So you don’t have to worry about cleaning and cutting up fresh fruit. It saves a lot of time when making this snack!
Thaw out the fruit in the microwave and blend it up with some spinach leaves and a little bit of juice. To make these gummies completely sugar free, make sure to choose a juice without sugar.
Once the fruit and spinach is blended, it goes into a skillet on the stove to be combined with the gelatin and vanilla. Then the mixture is poured into a pan lined with parchment paper and refrigerated for 2 hours.
And once the gummies are set, all you have to do is cut them into squares! Can you believe how easy that is? Just 15 minutes of work and then you let the refrigerator do the rest.
Even with the hidden spinach, your kids will love these! They are still sweet even without any sugar. You can cut them up into any size you like or even use cookie cutter to make fun shapes. I cut mine into 1-inch squares which were perfect for my baby’s little hands to pick up.
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup juice (I used orange juice but any will work, this is the one ingredient that might have sugar so if you want these to be completely sugar free, choose and juice that doesn't contain sugar)
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 packets unflavored gelatin
- Thaw the berries in the microwave.
- Add the berries, juice and spinach leaves to a blender and blend until smooth. If desired, strain the mixture at this point to remove the seeds. I left them in, but if your kids are picky about that you might want to strain!
- Pour the blended mixture into a saucepan and add the vanilla and gelatin. Heat over medium high for about 3-5 minutes or until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes or until slightly cooled.
- Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper. Pour the berry mixture into the pan and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.