Try this patriotic treat for your 4th of July party! This twist on fruit pizza features an egg free sugar cookie crust topped with a simple cream cheese frosting. Strawberries and blueberries are the finishing touch on this red, white and blue dessert.
We recently had some testing done for my son to determine his food intolerances and discovered he was reacting to egg whites and oats. Since I’m still nursing him, I can’t eat anything with oats or eggs in it.
The main thing is has changed for me is desserts! I can’t eat most cakes or cookies unless I make them myself and use substitutions to replace the egg.
To make the crust for this fruit pizza egg free, I used sour cream. You won’t even notice the difference! This tastes just like a classic sugar cookie.
I used fresh strawberry slices and blueberries to give this fruit pizza a patriotic spin. It’s perfect for 4th of July or Memorial Day.
To be honest, I’m really picky about fruits so I would probably make my fruit pizza with just these two fruits any time of year.
This dessert is great for summertime because it tastes so light and refreshing! Who wants a warm, rich dessert when it is blazing hot outside?
Especially here in Florida. It’s now the time of year where we spend most our time inside. It’s just so hot outside! Unless we are cooling off in the pool or at the beach, of course.
This dessert starts with a homemade, from scratch sugar cookie. A GIANT SUGAR COOKIE!
Next comes the sweet, slightly tangy cream cheese frosting.
And finally, a topping of fresh strawberries and blueberries. What’s not to love?
The best part of making this fruit pizza (besides eating it, of course!) is decorating it. You could enlist the kids to help or flex your creative muscle to decorate it yourself. Come up with a pretty pattern, or just copy mine. You could even try a flag pattern!
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk or creamer
- 4-6 strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the sour cream and vanilla, stir until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined, don't over mix!
- Use your hands to form a ball with the dough. Wrap in cling wrap and put in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a pizza baking sheet with parchment paper. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let sit for a few minutes before rolling out into a circle. The dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Watch it closely towards the end so that it doesn't get too dark.
- Remove the crust from the oven and let cool completely.
- Put the powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. Begin to mix and slowly add in the milk or creamer until creamy.
- Frost the crust with the cream cheese frosting. Top with slices of strawberries and blueberries. Keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.