Casseroles are probably one of the greatest inventions when it comes to cooking. Throw all the ingredients into a pan and bake. You end up with a delicious comfort food and when you are done, there is only one pan to clean.
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables at the moment, so I’ve been trying to figure out more ways to incorporate it into different dishes, instead of just using it as a side dish. My latest success was this Chicken & Asparagus Casserole.
I layered rice, asparagus, cream of chicken soup and chicken in a pan. I had some shredded cheese and bacon bits leftover from another recipe, so I added them on top. Bacon bits are now one of the ingredients I try to keep in the house at all times, because it can be added to all sorts of recipes.
Do you have any other ideas for ways that I can use asparagus? I would love to hear them! Leave a comment below, I love hearing from my readers!
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus (about 15-20 pieces)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Sea Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 (10 3/4 oz can) cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread the rice in the bottom of the pan.
- Slice the ends off of the asparagus and spread them in a layer on top of the rice.
- Layer the chicken on top of the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream of chicken soup and water together. Pour over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with bacon bits and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly and asparagus is tender.